Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Unity

While I was away at CREDO last week, I found myself wondering whether Unity and Wholeness are always the same thing. Just what I mean by this brilliant question, I am not sure. But all this working to hold together the unity of the Anglican Communion, by increasingly coercive means like the Primates' Communique and its deadlines, may preserve Unity but work against Wholeness, since the price of Unity seems to be that people are expected to keep silent about who they truly are, that some provinces are supposed to disenfranchise some believers, that when bishops gather some of them are not welcome. If all the provinces of the communion are willing to make these sacrifices of their integrity and allow the covenant to dictate how disputes are to be settled and to cut some off from communion, the unity we will have will be the opposite of wholeness.

No comments: